Friday, January 28, 2011

Chilly Children and Chili for Dinner

Aiden to all 3 kids: It's pretty chilly outside this morning.  You might want a warmer coat.

Alex: Nah, I'm good.

Annie: I'm just going to wear this one.

Ashley: *crickets chirp as she ignores me*

Aiden: No, really.  It's way, WAY colder than it has been.

Annie: How much degrees is it?

Aiden: 31.

Alex: That's below freezing.

Aiden: I know.  Are you sure you don't want a heavier jacket?  I know I would!

Fast forward to 10 minutes later at the bus stop.

All 3 Kids:  I'm soooooooo cold.  It's soooooooo cold outside.  When's the bus coming?  It's soooooooo cold.

Aiden: I know.

Does anyone else parent this way?  Holly's classes called it "natural consequences".  I call it, "hey dork! I told you so!"

Now, for dinner.  I made Holly's mom's recipe.  I guess I could just say "my mother-in-law's" recipe.  Duh.  Anyway, it's super easy and super good.  And I'm cheating and making Jiffy Corn Muffins from a box.  Hey, I get a night off.  And the box of mix is like 33 cents!

Mom's Chili
or
Aiden's Mother-in-Law's Chili


1 lb hamburger (we use ground turkey)
1/2 onion sliced
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
2 cans chili beans (15 oz cans or one large can)
Cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder to taste
1/2 C ketchup

Brown meat, onion, and garlic in 5qt stock pot.  Drain fat if needed.  Combine with tomato products, beans and ketchup.  Stir in spices *(I also season the meat while it's browning).  If you want/need to thicken you can add potato flakes, flour, or corn starch.  Cook to warm through *(I put mine in the crock pot about 2 hours ahead of time just for ease, since I can't always guarantee I'll feel good enough to stand at a stove later).




2 comments:

I always like to know what people think. Even the bad stuff. Okay, maybe just the good stuff ;)