Friday, February 11, 2011

A Rotten Business

Maybe I shouldn't complain because my medical care is covered by the VA.  Or maybe I should complain because I'm not actually receiving any medical care right now.

A couple weeks ago I learned that I had a new primary care physician (PCP), but she hadn't actually gotten to my file.  And the rheumatologist had handed my case back to my PCP, except I didn't really have a PCP.

I was/am in such severe pain that I'm not sleeping well, struggling to get around the house and at times literally crawling from one place to the other.  My back has hurt the most at night, thus no sleep.  So I called and talked to the nurse attached to my PCP.  Besides the fact that she didn't listen, she obviously didn't have a clue what was going on with me.  I asked to please get a referral to the pain clinic because I am so miserable and the doctors here apparently don't want to do anything about that.

Today I received a letter from aforementioned nurse.  This was my response:

Full on snot crying for 30 minutes.  Thanks VA!
 The letter said that they were waiting on the rheumatologist to determine if they need to see me before June.  Strike one.
The letter said that they would decide on giving me a referral to the pain clinic.  In June.
Strike two.
The letter said I would need to discuss my sleep "issues" with my mental health provider.  Even though my sleep issues are completely related to my pain, not my mental health.
Strike three.
I called to speak to the nurse because I need help and I need it soon, not in June.  The fetchin' doctor doesn't have voicemail set up.  And they are always with patients, not at the desk. 
Strike four.

I hate the VA so much right now.  It's really frustrating to be doing everything I'm supposed to and everything I could possibly do to get help.  Apparently I get to be miserable until June.

Okay, I'm done bitching now.  The kids are home, they're in good moods and being pretty dang good.  And my wife is taking us out to Mexican for dinner.  There will be Coronas involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always like to know what people think. Even the bad stuff. Okay, maybe just the good stuff ;)