Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Teen Years Start at Eight?

We have an eight year-old.  Eight, going on 16.

Today Annie drove home the fact that she's "matured" quickly.  I use the word "matured" loosely as their very little about her behavior that is mature.

I asked Annie to get in the shower right after dinner.  She not-so-slyly asked if she could "help me out" by helping give Ashley her shower.  "I know your back hurts and I want to just help you."  Yeah . . . I'm not stupid.  But she kept trying and I kept saying no thank you!  The destruction that occurs when those two are in the same shower is unreal!

So, she shifted gears and just asked me outright.  "Can we take a shower together?" 

"No, every time you two shower together it gets out of control."

Whining she swears, "It won't this time."

"That's what you said last time and it didn't work out."

"Noooo, reeeaaalllly.  I prrrrroooooomise.  We'll be good this time."

"That's also what you said last time.  And last time I said that you will never, ever, ever, ever shower together again.  And it is not ever, ever, ever.  So, no."

She stomped her feet down the hallway and I called after her to get in the shower.  Two minutes later she's standing over my shoulder.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Nvrmind, Iknowhatch'llsayanyway," she mumbled from half-way down the hall.

"What?  I couldn't understand a word you said."

"NVERMND.  Iknowhatch'llsayANYWAY."  Yes, Annie, I can understanding your mumbling better if you scream it at me.

Ashely pitched in to help, "She said 'nevermind. I know what you'll say anyway."

"Well, Annie, you won't know if you never ask," I sagely reply.

"I was going to ask if Ashley and I could take a shower together."

"Well, Annie, since I've already said 'no' to that question several times, you are right.  You do know what I'll say.  And I'll say no again."

Annnnnd, then the crying commenced.  But she finally got in the shower!

Other proof I was given from Annie that she really is a teenager in an eight year-old body include:

  • the overuse of the word "fine", generally being screamed, after Holly or I have asked for something to be done (or stopped being done) numerous times. 
  • eye rolling
  • hair flipping
  • a ridiculous obsession with her hair
Now, I could be wrong.  Maybe this is how all eight year-old girls act.  But if it is, Ashley is going to be seven forever!

On a completely different note, I'm learning to drop stitch.  Thanks to Crazy Aunt Purl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always like to know what people think. Even the bad stuff. Okay, maybe just the good stuff ;)